Saturday, December 15, 2012

I've come to represent the 15104

I've come to represent the 15104
13x19 frame
Image by Hryck.
This weekend, along with some of Pittsburgh Flickr's finest, I will have two of my photographs displayed at gallery. It'll be a great show, and for a great cause bringing support for Braddock Redux.

From the press release: "Those attending OBSCURAE, held at UnSmoke Systems Gallery at 1137 Braddock Avenue, are invited to take part in the gallery’s interactive photo booth designed by installation artist Merissa Lombardo and taste fresh-baked pizza by Josh Tonies made in Braddock’s very own outdoor wood-fire community oven located next to UnSmoke Systems. There is no charge to attend Obscuræ and view the exhibition; visitors wishing to take home a work of art can purchase lottery tickets for through the website, www.obscuraegallery.org, or for at the door. The lottery offers supporters the opportunity to contribute to Braddock art and community projects with a partially tax-deductible ticket purchase. At the same time, supporters will be able to enjoy the exhibit, local food and drinks, the photo booth installation, AND leave with a limited edition framed art photograph. Photographs included in the lottery range from 8x10 to 13x19 and are mounted and framed using a variety of reclaimed materials. All pieces are stunning to display or give as a gift this holiday season."

Come on out, and get some amazing work for dirt cheap and for a great cause!


c083c0d9
13x19 frame
Image by *Grant*


FirstGiving
13x19 frame
Image by Thomas Hawk
Frame Muller, one of my Flickr contacts, approached me today about FirstGiving, a web site which allows you to personally fund raise on an ongoing basis to help those less fortunate. By way of disclosure, Frame works for FirstGiving's sister company.

Earlier this week Flickr's most popular photographer, _rebekka, launched a similar campaign to also raise funds, in her case for SOS Children's Village. I think it is really great that some of the most popular people in social networking are using their connections to raise money for those in need. I'm hoping that by starting a site myself that this will also help build awareness for others to start their own campaigns as well. All donations of course are tax deductible.

So how does FirstGiving work? We'll basically they make it super easy for you to set up a web page in about three steps with any 501(3)c non profit organization in their database. If an organization is not in their database you can contact them about getting it added. In my case I chose The Guardsmen, a Bay area based organization that sends about 2,500 low income kids to summer camp each year as well as provides private school K-12 partial scholarships for another 200 children yearly. These kids come from the poorest families in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've done personal volunteer work with this organzation for a number of years.

From an economics standpoint FirstGiving seems pretty efficient. They handle all of the correspodance, including receipts and thank you letters to all donors. This saves the office staff of the charities involved work. They charge 5% for handling the program. Any credit card processing charges are also deducted from the transaction.

So I figure I'll try it out. I'm not sure if it will be successful or not but I think promoting charity is a good thing and am happy to use any platform I might have to try and help others.

I'm also going to do one other thing as well to try out associated with this campaign. I've never sold prints of my photography before. Well, I take that back. I've only sold a single print. It was a print that I sold in the Katrina Relief Auction organized on Flickr for 0. I've had lots of people ask me in the past if they can buy prints of my work from me and I've always said no and never sold any. It's hard for me to figure out the best way to sell my work and I haven't been ready to do this yet.

But I think what I've decided is that I'm going to begin offering limited edition prints of mine for sale but only for charity right now. I've decided that of all my images I'm only ever going to print 10 each 13x19 prints. I may do a few prints larger than 13x19 later on, but in terms of 13x19 sized prints I'll only ever print up 10 copies of any image. Once 10 have been printed up then it's done for life. I'll have these prints printed up with archival quality ink, mat them, sign them and then frame them.

So to start, I'm going to say that anyone who donates 0 or more via my charity page to help kids that they can choose any image of mine and I'll print it, mat it, sign the mat, and send it in the mail to you framed. I'm not sure how many of these I'll be able to do as I'll be subsidizing the printing and framing expenses, or even if anyone will be interested, but this seems like a better answer to give people in the future when/if they ask to purchase a print of mine. Most of my images are up on Flickr and my most popular images are probably in my Superfavs group.

Of course even if you don't want or can't afford a print it would be great, if you felt inclined, if you wanted to make a donation anyways to help the kids which you can do here.

Thanks much!


Tire Tracks in the Bathroom
13x19 frame
Image by dayofthedreamweavers
I decided to frame one of my big 13x19 inkjet prints I liked it so much. Now I get a nice look at it every time I'm in my bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment