Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cool Pro Football Pictures images

Pro Football Player (Thai Style)
pro football pictures
Image by steven.kohus
We took the coconut from one of the short palm trees located in the park. This picture made me laugh a lot.



Jimmy Orr and Jerry Mertens, Baltimore, Md., 1962
pro football pictures
Image by cliff1066™
On this day I had my first field pass to a pro football game. I don't remember how I got it. I took the train from Newark to Baltimore. I was nervous. I would finally be on the same field as my beloved Colts. Every Thursday there was a show on TV called Pro Football Highlights. I loved it, you could see the photographers on the sideline. I thought, "If I wear all light-colored clothes maybe I can see myself on TV." So I wore khakis and a khaki-colored jacket. With about a minute left in the game, Johnny Unitas threw this pass to Jimmy Orr, who bobbled the ball but held on to it as he fell into the end zone, and the Colts won. In those days photographers could stand on the sideline, so I was right next to Orr as he reached for the ball. I didn't have a motor drive on my camera; I didn't even own one. I took two or three steps backwards, cranked the focus and took one frame. I was sure I'd missed the shot. When Orr finished catching the ball, I jumped up in the air, like the teenage fan I was, leaped on his back and patted him like a deranged stalker. I completely forgot about being a journalist. He brushed me aside. The next Thursday when they showed the highlights of that game on TV, there was Orr bobbling the ball, and me jumping on him and patting him on the back. I was part of the highlights and I got my first great catch picture. One frame, tack sharp—impossible. But there it was.

www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0808/iooss-bp.html


Art Rooney, Man of Steeler-Town
pro football pictures
Image by Tony Fischer Photography
Arthur Joseph Rooney, Sr. (January 27, 1901 - August 25, 1988) was the founding owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers franchise in the National Football League. Art Rooney was born in the mining town (and Pittsburgh suburb) of Coulterville, Pennsylvania. Rooney was Pittsburgh through and through. He graduated from Duquesne Prep, then went on to Duquesne University before founding the Pittsburgh Steelers.

His affiliation with the NFL began in 1933 after he traveled to Saratoga Race Course in New York and won at least ,500 in a parlay of longshot winners. He soon used that ,500 to pay the required National Football League franchise entrance fee for a club based in the city of Pittsburgh, which he had named the Pirates (also the name of the city's long-established Major League Baseball club, which Rooney was a fan of as a child).

Rooney sent shockwaves through the NFL by signing Byron "Whizzer" White to a then record breaking ,000 contract in 1938. This move, however, did not bring the Pirates a winning season. The club did not have a season above .500 until 1942, the year after they were renamed the Pittsburgh Steelers.

During World War II, the Steelers had some financial difficulties and were merged with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1943 and the Chicago Cardinals in 1944.

After the War, Rooney became team president. He longed to bring an NFL title to Pittsburgh but was never able to beat the powerhouse teams, like the Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers. After forty seasons, it seemed as the Steelers would always be destined for the second division.

Through expert scouting, the Steelers did become a power. In Rooney's 41st season as owner, the club won the Super Bowl. They followed up with Super Bowl victories following the 1975, 1978, and 1979 seasons.

After the 1974 season, Rooney relinquished the day to day operation of the club to his son Dan. He remained as Chairman of the Board of the club until his death in Pittsburgh in 1988.

Art Rooney received many awards during his career. In 1964, he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Duquesne University named their football field in his honor in 1993. In 1999, the Sporting News named him one of the 100 most powerful sports figures of the 20th century.

A Statue of his likeness graces the entrance to the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Heinz Field. He also has a street named in his honor on Pittsburgh's north shore.

Art Rooney is the subject of, and the only character in, the one-man play The Chief, written by Gene Collier and Rob Zellers. The play debuted at the Pittsburgh Public Theater in 2003, and has been revived on three occasions since then. All productions have starred Tom Atkins as Rooney.

Today, Rooney is probably the city's most beloved figure. Few are talked about with as much reverence as Rooney. At Steeler games, (Especially during the Super Bowl XL season) there is a sign that shows a picture of Rooney with his beloved cigar and under the photo, the word "Believe."

source: wiki and steelersfever.com

Mr. Rooney is buried in North Side Catholic Cemetery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Oh yeah, I'm rooting for Pittsburgh.


Pro celeb football
pro football pictures
Image by grammaticus_o'cracker
Celebs not pictured

No comments:

Post a Comment