Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Best online painting tool - artPad

Best online painting tool - artPad
frame online
Image by aaipodpics
The online tool artPad is by far the best online painting tool I have found so far. The interface is clean and simple. You can select a color from a swatch, a brush size, and the rest is up to you, putting digital paint on the canvas. When ypu're finished, you can put one of the frames around your work of art.

The Flash tool is apparently very well written, because it is quite responsive. Oftentimes, you'll see some lag in drawing, but with this tool, the lagging was minimal.

Of course, you can use a brush as a drawing instrument. The difference between drawing and painting is in the intent of the artist, not in the tool he or she uses. I chose line over surface, so this was a drawing.

You drawing doesn't go to waste. You can either send a link to your painting on the website, put it on display, so others can see it, or print it on your printer.

I chose the latter, and because I'm on a Mac, I can print to a PDF file, and convert that into a JPEG image.

The painting is not meant to reflect my drawing skills, but rather to test the tool. I'm liking it much more than Digital Doodle.


Freeze frame #2
frame online
Image by jinterwas
Free to use in your art, but please credit me with a link back to this page. I'd love to see the results of your creativity, so please put a link or a small copy of your work in the comment section.

Do not claim as your own, do not sell online, on CD or in any other way.


open-frame-unit-rhombicosidodecahedron.3
frame online
Image by Ardonik
The polyhedron in this picture is more than five years old, and the photograph itself used to be on Flickr some time ago. However, at some point it disappeared from the 'Net, and since its structure is relevant to another project I'm working on, I have decided to re-upload it.

Some of you who are viewing this may see a colorful ball. However, to me, this looks like 20 blue tetrahedra joined to 30 light blue/purple triangular prisms in order to make a toroid whose convex hull happens to be a rhombicosidodecahedron. (Seriously. There is no ball here.) I folded the 210 units needed for the project over the course of the four-day weekend starting on Thanksgiving Day, 2007. And while this is not the first modular polyhedron that I've folded (far from it—2007 was actually a productive year for me!), it is certainly the first of my pieces to make it online, and I do consider it to be my first serious foray into this medium.

Like other "tetrahedral symmetry toroids," this structure is not mathematically possible: the angles are sharper than the geometry allows, so there is slight tension and the units must be forced together. At the time of folding, of course, I did not know this, and I genuinely thought that I had stumbled upon a novel class of polyhedra. It took a local geometer to disabuse me of this misconception.

The fact that Daniel Kwan was able to ascertain this mathematical truth at a moment's glance was ultimately what brought me here to Flickr (I needed to reply to him and ask him how he knew!)


Before Single Frame HDR
frame online
Image by hto2008
E-PL1 before single frame HDR

HuaTongOversea Blog Claim:

Most of the photos in my Flickr were taken with my Nikon D90 + 35mm f1.8G + 50mm f1.8D + 18-200mm VR II + Tokina 12-24 f4 + Tokina 80-400mm, or Olympus E-PL1 + Olympus 14-42mm + Panasonic 20mm 1.7
Sometimes in order to describe something I do use a few photos I got from online, these photos will be marked and credited to the original owners if I know. If I don't know, I still normally apply heavy photoshop on them to the extend of 'recreation' or 'recovery'. If you can still recognize it or the difference is too small with your liking, as the original owner you should inform me, I will take them down immediately once I confirmed the ownership.

Those photos taken by me are credited and licensed to hto2008 flickr account and

www(dot)HuaTongOversea(dot)com/blog


Pez frame
frame online
Image by sassycrafter
I have a friend who collects Pez dispensers but doesn't like the candy that comes with them. She gave me a big bag of candy that I transformed into this frame. I glued each candy pack to a wooden frame using a heavy-duty contact adhesive. Once the glue was dry, I added a protective coat of two-part epoxy resin.

A full tutorial for this project originally appeared in The Satellite magazine.

--------------------
The concept and images for this project are under my copyright. You may make the project for your own personal use but may not reproduce it to sell online or at craft fairs. If you wish to feature this project on your blog, please contact me for permission. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment