Sunday, March 31, 2013

Nice Glass Picture Frame photos

Rainbow passion.
glass picture frame
Image by Captured By Ciara
1x neewer 250di into brolly box and one 32" reflector on the other side triggered with poverty wizard, macro mode with my 35-70mm f4

Water drops on picture frame glass about 6 inches over my new bathing suit:) (its vintage it rocks)


Not Different Just Special Setup
glass picture frame
Image by nickwheeleroz
Strobist Information:

Sometimes you get an idea for a picture in your head and then have to work out how to create it. Other times, you see something when you are out and about and wonder how you can incorporate it into a picture. This picture is definitely a case of the latter. When I was in the supermarket looking for food colouring to do Gravity I spotted a big jar of glucose syrup. It was as clear as water but as thick as honey. In my mind, I formulated a picture of a glass of water full of red blobs (a bit like an old fashioned lava lamp). My plan for putting the blobs in the syrup was to use water with red food colouring. I would suck a mouthful up through a straw and then poke the straw into the syrup and blow a water bubble. While this seemed like an excellent plan on the surface, the practice turned out to be slightly less workable. When I blew the bubble into the syrup, the water did indeed form a bubble, but as soon as I drew the straw out the bubble closed up and all the water squeezed back up the gap left by the straw and sat on top of the syrup.

I needed a plan B. If I couldn’t use water to form the bubbles, what if I used something more solid. Another trip to the supermarket turned up a pack of round red sweets. I tried poking these into the syrup to see if they would stay in place. They did, so I now had everything I needed to create the picture.

I had one more problem and that was filling the narrow champagne flute with glucose syrup without getting any on the glass (it is almost impossible to wipe off without leaving a messy smear). I solved that problem by wrapping the glass in plastic wrap. I also folded some inside the rim of the glass to keep the glucose off the inside top of the glass. With the wrap in place I filled the glass and then peeled it off. Perfectly filled and no spills. I dropped the sweets onto the top of the syrup and then pushed them in place with a drinking straw. After filling three more glasses with water and blue food colouring I was ready to take the picture.

The setup is pretty much the same as my other glass pictures, a sheet of glass sitting on two chairs with an Elinchrom D-lite 4 flash head in a box under the glasses and another one pointing at the seamless white paper background. Both are triggered by PW’s. I also used two SB-28's on either side fired through translucent umbrellas, again by PW’s. The SB-28’s are set at ½ power with 24mm zoom. The background flash is set at full power and the flash under the glass is on ½ power.

If I was going to shoot this picture again, there are a couple of things I would change. I filled the blue glasses before I filled the glucose glass and the levels are not the same. Also, there are a lot of bubbles in the syrup that I could not get rid of. I think I would try heating the syrup up to make it go runny, fill the glass and then put it in the fridge to set again. This should get rid of the bubbles.

The hardest part of this picture was cleaning the glass afterwards. Glucose syrup is sticky stuff and it is a nightmare to get off glass. It took a whole kettle of boiling water to finally get the glass clean!

Picture here: Not Different Just Special Picture

Learn how to light: www.strobist.com


Glass and Picture Frames
glass picture frame
Image by Nicholas Smale
Photo by Emma Cleverly


Anderson House 03
glass picture frame
Image by tantrum_dan
Framed postcard and a toilet on the front porch of the abandoned house on the Anderson property near Coleman, Florida.


Tropical Aqua Mosaic Frame
glass picture frame
Image by Nutmeg Designs
Glass, tile, smalti, mirror, millefiori, 4x6" by Margaret Almon

www.etsy.com/listing/77360392/tropical-aqua-mosaic-pictur...

No comments:

Post a Comment