Monday, February 25, 2013

my "show"

my "show"
11x14 frame
Image by Ben McLeod
My first ever show: a bunch of my pictures hanging at the local bagel shop. Here are the photos before I packed them up and brought them down to Bagel Works.

Preparation has consumed most of the past month.

It took a while to go through all of my images, select a bunch, get them printed (I had them printed through Aperture's built-in print ordering and Adorama. The winner: Adorama), then select the best of the prints - it's amazing how some pictures look great at 11x14 inches, but not so great at 5x7.

I then cut mats for all of them - as most are "non-standard" crops - and framed them. I think it's something like 27 prints; 8 16x20 frames, 16 11x14 frames and 3 8x10 frames. I should probably go down and count them.


Framed Snowflake At Window 11x14 frame
11x14 frame
Image by ddpool


Framed Sebastian At Window 11x14 frame
11x14 frame
Image by ddpool


So. Much. Framing.
11x14 frame
Image by Kevin_Morris
A few months ago I stumbled across a gallery on Queen West in Toronto that was shutting it's doors. Turns out they had sixty of these gorgeous frames looking for a home - all 11x14 in black wood frames. Needless to say, I'm now planning a massive photo wall in my place with some of my favourite prints. I still have a few empties, so feel free to make suggestions on which photos to include, but I love how they look so far.

For those of us on Flickr, having our photos exist in a digital state has it's perks. But nothing compares to the art of developing, matting, and framing something you created - especially for the space that you live and/or work in. Highly recommended project.


framed lace
11x14 frame
Image by Jazmin_
I wasn't sure how the rectangular frame would look, but I'm fairly happy with it. 11x14 frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment