Monday, February 11, 2013

Nice Football Framed Pictures photos

3-D Hillcrest High Scool Personal Frame
football framed pictures
Image by sonshine90
The Hillcrest High School picture frame done for my nephew. See the close up shot of the football helment. I am not sure you can see but in the bottom right corner is "08" his graduation year.
Wall Decoration set



marshes5
football framed pictures
Image by Martino's doodles
Large farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2324893210_e96d0b8f0c_b.jpg Monthly picture for February 2008


Latest News - Hibs and Hearts launch shirts
football framed pictures
Image by Poppyscotland
Date 120110 location: Poppy Factory ,Edinburgh Scotland
Photo by Mark Owens

Photo Caption: (L) David Obua (Hearts) and (R) Chris Hogg (Hibs) with centre Willy Magee (head framer Poppy Factory)


HIBS AND HEARTS PLAYERS LAUNCH VETERANS’ PICTURE FRAMING WEBSITE

Edinburgh football stars David Obua and Chris Hogg have put aside their fierce rivalry on the pitch to join forces in aid of Scottish Veterans by assisting in the launch
today (Tuesday 12 January) of a new website for Edinburgh’s iconic Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory.

Both players have also kindly donated their playing shirts from the Edinburgh derby on Poppy Saturday, which featured the poppy alongside the clubs crest, in recognition of the 2009 Scottish Poppy Appeal. The shirts, which have been framed, will now be auctioned on ebay via the new Poppy Factory website – www.ladyhaigspoppyfactory.org.uk.

The new website includes the history of Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory, which opened in 1926, and explains how the 5 millions poppies are produced each year. The famous Factory employs 40 veterans with disabilities to hand-assemble Scotland’s poppies and wreaths, also runs a framing service, which is open to the public.

Speaking at the launch, Hibs captain Chris Hogg said “We were extremely proud to wear the poppy on our shirts in November and it’s great that they are now being auctioned to raise money for Poppyscotland. My brother in law is currently serving in Afghanistan so I’m especially aware of the sacrifices that many brave servicemen and women have made, and continue to make”.

Hearts player David Obua said: “While our rivalry on the field is fierce, its great to join together with Hibs to support the important work of Poppyscotland. I didn’t realise that the Factory did picture framing too but the framed shirts look great and will take pride of place on some lucky fans wall”.
Head picture framer Willy Magee, who served in the Army Air Corp, recently received commendation from the Fine Art Trade Gui


Getting ready for a game of ... football? Wrong season!
football framed pictures
Image by Ed Yourdon
Note: this photo was published in an undated (Jun 2010) issue of an Everyblock NYC Zipcodes blog, titled "10024."

****************************************

When the weather is nice on a holiday weekend, you can be reasonably sure that there will be lots of interesting people to photograph in Central Park. My typical plan, on such photo expeditions, is to walk through and around several different parts of the park -- in order to see different groups of people, and also to take advantage of different scenes and backdrops. But it means that I don't spend very much time in any one place, and most of my shots end up being "ad hoc" in nature, with almost no planning, preparation, framing, or composition.

On this Memorial Day weekend, I decided to restrict my wandering to just one area -- the "Great Lawn" that's more-or-less in the center of the north-south expanse of the park. I walked around the sidewalk perimeter of the large grassy area, starting at the north end (because I had entered the park at 86th Street), heading down to the south end by the Delacorte Theater and the Belvedere Castle, and then back north again to my starting point.

I had a 70-300mm zoom lens on my camera while I was walking, and while that made it relatively easy to capture some interesting scenes of people out in the middle of the lawn, it was almost impossible to take a quick picture of someone just a couple feet away from me. Normally, I would just shrug and mutter to myself, "Well, that's the way it goes" -- and perhaps resolve that, next time, I would use the 18-200mm zoom lens that covers both a wider range between wide-angle and telephoto.

But in this case, I decided to change lenses after the first circumnavigation, and then make a second circle around the Great Lawn with a 24-120mm zoom lens. (All of this involved full-frame lenses on the Nikon D700, rather than the half-frame DX 18-200 zoom lens on my older Nikon D300.) So, on the second walk around the lawn, I focused more on the people sitting on benches, walking past me, and stretched out on the grass near the sidewalk. It also gave me a chance to set the lens to its maximum wide-angle setting, and take advantage of quick, unfocused, wide-angle "hip shots" whenever there was something interesting nearby that I had to shoot quickly.

When I got home, I decided to take a quick look at the Wikipedia article about the Great Lawn, to see if there was anything special that I needed to mention in these notes. I didn't expect to find much, because -- as far as I knew -- it had always been part of Central Park, and had always been the same. To my surprise, I found that that was definitely not not the case. Indeed, today's Great Lawn is situated on a flat area that was occupied by the 35-acre "Lower Reservoir" that was constructed in 1842 to supply water to the residents of the city. After the Croton-Catskill reservoir system was completed, the Lower Reservoir became redundant -- but political battles ensued for several decades before the city finally settled on a plan for an oval lawn.

That plan basically fell apart because of the Depression, and the open area was filled with a "Hooverville" of improvised shacks for quite some time. Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia finally brought in the legendary Robert Moses (the visionary force behind so many other parks around New York City and the rest of the state) to implement the plan -- and it was essentially finished in 1934.

And there's more to the history, too, but I'll let you read that on your own if you're interested. (You might be interested to know, for example, that in 1995, Pope John Paul II held an open-air mass for 125,000 on the Great Lawn. Yes, it is that big!)

In any case, I finished my second loop around the park, went home and uploaded several hundred photos, which I've winnowed down to the ones you'll find in this set...

No comments:

Post a Comment