Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nice My First Year Frame photos

From My First Roll Of Film, Ever, Aged 15
my first year frame
Image by The James Kendall
this photo, despite looking like a Bushery rip-off actually comes from the first roll of film i put in an SLR, 20 years ago when i was 15. i was rightly proud of it then and have been very pleased to find that my parents have it framed in their house.

a wman down the road was a picture editor and gave me a day's work as a photographic assistant on a shoot she was doing off the back of it, but i never carried on with photography.

a burst with a DSLR happened when i was about 29, and now i'm back with avengance.

nearly all the stuff on my flickr was taken in the last 10 months. i'm looking forward to seeing what my first real year of photography has brough in a couple of months time. i might make myself a little book.


How to Frame a Picture - Day 47
my first year frame
Image by Velo Steve
Let's put aside the idea of going to a full service photo and framing shop. They do great work, but I'm too cheap to spend 0 to put a picture on my wall.

[Short version: order Zazzle print and frame. Order Kodak print. Tape great Kodak print over ugly Zazzle print. Reassemble.]

Here's what worked for me:
1) Follow the Zazzle link from Flickr. Order a 16x20 print and a frame. This was pretty easy, and the frame preview tool was really good.
2) In a prescient moment, wonder how Zazzle's print quality compares to others. I'll never know without a test.
3) Go to Kodak Gallery and order the same size print.
4) Check out Kodak's framing options. (I have the Zazzle order in another tab, not checked out yet.)
5) Kodak's site doesn't let you see just frames which fit your print size. I tried half a dozen nice-looking frames, but all were dead ends when it came to the size selection. The whole process was much worse than Zazzle's.
6) Complete checkout on both prints (including framing on Zazzle). .10 to Kodak, 8.29 to Zazzle.
7) Wait a couple of days.
8) The Kodak print arrives. It's beautiful, with details I didn't even remember.
9) Wait a few more days for Zazzle (no complaint - framing takes a little time).
10) The first thing I notice is that the Zazzle print is garbage. Badly under exposed, badly out of focus, and the paper is a little funny. The Zazzle frame looks quite nice for the price, aside from having plastic instead of glass. It never occured to me that you would frame a photograph with shiny plastic, so I didn't check when I ordered.
11) Bend the staples out from the back of the Zazzle frame and remove the contents.
12) Use the Zazzle print to align and tape down the Kodak print.
13) Reassemble.
14) Drill the frame for the included wire attachment hardware. There really should have been instructions, since you could split the frame if you didn't drill first.
15) Add the included wire and the job is done.

As you can tell, I don't frame many of my shots. We decided this one would look good in the front bathroom. The total cost for a framed 16"x20" print was 2.39. Maybe Zazzle would let me order a frame without a print, in which case I might save or so.

If Kodak could emulate Zazzle's frame selector, or if Zazzle could print like Kodak, either would have a big winner. If you have a better source, please comment.

[Added late to Project 365 - I'm getting things in order as the year ends for me.]


my first glasses
my first year frame
Image by brillenschlange
These Giorgio Armani were my first glasses (14 years ago).


Cuevas Frame
my first year frame
Image by ROSKO.CC
My first "handmade" frame, purchased in 1993-4(?) used but straight and with a great new paint job. Built by Don Francisco Cuevas here in New York. This bicycle saw many years and MANY miles of hard duty till finally buckling under the pressures of NYC use. I'd say this is the bike that later inspired me to learn the art.


My First Digital (#197/365)
my first year frame
Image by Darkumber
Day 197 - This is the first digital camera that I "inherited" from my father when I was in college roughly 10 years ago. It's so bizarre to think that my cell phone which is also several years old takes photos with just as many megapixels.

Today was a super-fun party with Jade's friends. We went for a hike in "The Forest" and then picked pumpkins for our very own pumpkin carving party. Sadly when I was in "The Forest" I picked up some evil poison ivy.

“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”
~Winnie the Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment